This checklist will help you if you need to arrange emergency medical treatment abroad.
Emergencies occur even with careful planning. If one happens during your trip, do these things:
- Keep a cool head; don’t panic. Your life, and your family’s lives may depend on it.
- Establish your best plan of action and stick with it.
- Focus on survival needs first.
- Get to a safe location.
- Find bottled water, food and shelter. Keep extra water for those traveling with you if possible.
- Get medical attention, or attend to injuries if applicable.
- If you have special needs, communicate them to those who can help.
- Use your contact list to connect your friends or loved ones.
- Continue calling until you speak with a live person. Use email, text, or social media.
- Stay alert to weather changes.
- If your wallet is lost or stolen, notify your bank, and the proper credit card companies of the theft. Report stolen traveler’s checks to the issuing financial institution.